Friday 29 March 2019

Norwich Theatre Royal Brochure: KP's Picks

Pictured on the front of the new style Norwich Theatre Royal brochure is Matilda the Musical, which I actually mentioned about a year ago when it was announced. I can confirm I am still very much looking forward to it.  The buzz around the production is starting to build, with the Matilda map starting to be populated in Norwich and Norfolk.


Dance is becoming more prominent in the programming at NTR as time goes by. This year there's not One but TWO visits from New Adventures. The first production they are bringing is Swan Lake, arguably the work that made Matthew Bourne's name. Somehow I've never seen it, so next week on Wednesday will be my first EVER time watching. The second production they are bringing is Romeo & Juliet. Not only is this exciting because it is new, New Adventures are working with a Young Cast at each of the venues and to my understanding young people are also working within other stages of the creative process.

Keeping on dance, the Mark Morris Dance Group, fairly fresh from a residency at Sadler's Wells, brings Pepperland. An ode but also a re-working of The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club.  This looks zingy and fresh, as well as a nostalgic feel.


I really enjoyed the book Girl on The Train, but I didn't make it more than half an hour through the film. I am intrigued as to how the stage adaptation will differ from the book and the film, and also how the heck they are staging it; the trailer doesn't give much away.


Finally to round this post out with another musical; Kinky Boots tells the story of an unlikely friendship, traditional Nottingham Shoe Maker and Drag Queen. Music by Cyndi Lauper and successful runs in the West End and on Broadway, what's not to be excited about?


Those are my top five picks, that I'm looking forward to seeing later this year.