Friday 1 March 2019

Hello, its me. Current favourites.

Hi, its me potentially back from the longest hiatus ever. I really fell out of love with my blog at the beginning of last year. I had just completed Blogmas in 2017 and I kind of felt I had nothing left to say. At the time of writing this, I am trying to brainstorm some ideas, so that March has some posts up and we will see where we go from there. For now I will stick to an absolute classic post on this here blog, as you can see in the title a current favourites.

Films:
These are perhaps my favourite films from the end of last year.
Mary Poppins Returns
Never before have I been so nervous for a sequel to be released, that is seriously saying something as I was terrified they were going to ruin Mamma Mia with Mamma Mia here we go again. ANYWHO back to Mary Poppins, possibly my favourite disney film (and stage show). There were nods to the original film whether that was little bit of music in the underscore, Mary Poppins 'we are still not a cod fish' to Michael and a cameo appearance from Karen Dotrice (the original Jane Banks!). Highlights for me were the scenes on the Royal Doulton bowl and Turning Turtle - that's just naming two. I really bloody loved this film.

Bohemian Rhapsody
This film has unlocked some kind of underlying Queen obsession. Queen's music is definitely part of the British psyche especially their anthem songs. Both my parents are fans, my Dad in particular reminding me he saw them back in 1986. Bo Rhap predominantly focuses on Freddie's life as the front man of the band, and whilst there are some chronological inaccuracies, it gave something you can't necessarily get from interviews/performances, a deeper idea of the person.
I also feel this film has made my generation closer with my parents generation when there is definite friction between the two in these times.

Theatre:
Company
I have SO much to say about Company, in particular the 2018/19 London production. I am hoping to get all my thoughts out in a post entirely dedicated to it. Which no one will find interesting but me. This production is my new benchmark for musical theatre productions. It's extremely honest, funny and intelligent.

Waitress
I first mentioned Waitress back in spring 2017 on the blog, talking through my favourite soundtracks I was listening to. 2019 comes around and the show transfers to the West End, which I was lucky enough to grab some tickets in previews. We walked into the theatre and it smelt of freshly cooked baked goods - which is dreamy. I was already somewhat familiar with the music, due to my prior dedication to the soundtrack, but I hadn't listened to it for a while. The music as expected was beaut, however this was a more grown up and sophisticated musical than I expected. (that makes it sound boring - trust me it was not) If you are looking to see something in London this is probably second to Company on my what you should see list.

RSC's Romeo and Juliet
A Shakespeare that I have come away somewhat enthused by. This was fast moving and kept me gripped throughout. This was super engaging and I did not feel intimidated by this production. I also watched the signed performance, the signing which was integrated with the rest of the performance which really added to the performance for all members of the audience. This was a very important well executed step forwards for accessible performances.

Instagram accounts/Influencers:
dianachamomile, pipjolley, geehawkestattoo, meganellaby
Since taking a step back from my blog and to an extent blogs in general, Instagram is where I have headed to for fashion inspiration. 3/4 of the insta accounts here are fashion. I like people who have fun with colour and encourage me to step outside of the easiness of monochrome. Also shout out to Geehawkes whose tattoos are just so beaut, and making me seriously tempted to get inked myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment