Friday 8 March 2019

Feminism and Me 2019

Happy International Women's Day!!!

Today I thought I would chat/braindump about my relationship with feminism. I last wrote about feminism in 2017 two whole years ago, I have matured from then but I still have a lot to learn. Since then I have become less naive seeing how different aspects of people's identity has a direct impact on their paths through life. I would now say I am an intersectional feminist, my blinkers have started to fade away and I can see that the fight for equality is not as simple as it seems. 

Also since writing the post the #MeToo movement has seen dramatic and much needed rise in momentum, most notably with the Harvey Weinstein scandal. Since I last wrote on the topic more people are openly feminist and the stigma surrounding the word seems to have eased. ‘The original purpose of "Me Too" as used by Tarana Burke in 2006, was to empower women through empathy, especially young and vulnerable women. In October 2017, Alyssa Milano encouraged using the phrase as a hashtag to help reveal the extent of problems with sexual harassment and assault by showing how many people have experienced these events themselves.' Since then changes have started to be made most notably harassment in the workplace men having to stop and think about what they are saying and somehow only in the 21st century are realising their actions have CONSEQUENCES. They can be told to fuck off, disciplined, fired, taken to court - depending on what exactly they have done.


I have also tried to start educating myself, being aware of what I am consuming.  Last year I read Why I Am No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge, which looks indepthly at the ingrained structural racism in society, which white people aren't even aware of and the ignorance of BAME peoples experience. This was one of my favourite books from last year, but I really need to read it again to let the dense information in this book sink in more thoroughly.  

Jess Phillips MP for Birmingham Yardley has recently been in the news for the Olive speech in the House of Commons.

"Since I was elected I have met many people who earn way more than £30,000 and have literally no discernible skills, not even one.

"I met none before - I thought I had met posh people before I came here, but I had actually just met people who eat olives.

"I had no idea of how posh a person could be.

"Waitrose is apparently not the marker for being really, really posh.

"There is a lovely Waitrose in Birmingham Hall Green; it is the one I like to frequent.

"I have not necessarily met such people in this place, although there is a smattering.

"I would not let some of those very rich people who earn huge amounts of money hold my pint if I had to go and vote while in the bar.

"Because they would almost certainly do it wrong."

She is one of only a few MP's who have a no nonsense attitude, who knows what she stands for and her beliefs. Her book Everywoman was an eye opening read and empowering. In fact when I gave it to Grace for Christmas, before I knew it it had been passed around her work place for all her colleagues to read.

Right to conclude this wordy post, in 2019 I now identify as an intersectional feminist, there have been massive steps forwards for Women's rights (not enough alas!) and I am trying to become more educated and woke, so I can speak more eloquently on things that matter to me.

Resources:
Books!
Feminists Don't Wear Pink and Other Lies curated by Scarlett Curtis a great book to start out on your feminist journey/discovery
The Guilty Feminist (book) by Deborah Francis-White for an overview and wide angle
Becoming Michelle Obama one of the most anticipated books of the year, Michelle's account of the journey from Chicago to the White House
Animal by Sara Pascoe examining how the animal within the human race effects the relationship between men, women and the patriarchy
Every Woman by Jess Phillips a feminist take on parent-hood to labour politics to domestic abuse
Why I Am No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge what it says on the front cover
Podcasts!
The Guilty Feminist
Feminists Don't Wear Pink and Other Lies
Instagram!
I Weigh
The Insecure Girls Club
YouTube!
Leena Norms
Rowan Ellis

In all of the above categories I am looking for more by BAME, LGBT and other under represented people.

Then finally to finish this mammoth post off, a truly iconic advert voiced by Serena Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment