Sunday 4 March 2018

Favourite Films and TV ATM

Queer Eye
Quite frankly if you haven't heard about Queer Eye, has your internet been disabled for the last week or so? The makeover show we have been waiting for is here, it's not superficial and its building bridges. The Fab Five (Bobby, Karamo, Antoni, Tan and Jonathan) are challenging the perception of gay people in the deep south of the USA, men on the show admitting they simply had not mixed with LGBT people in their lives. Whilst this is in essence a makeover show it is so much more, and I challenge you not to cry during an episode.


Ladybird
Relatable AF. Is my short review of Lady Bird. 
The narrative here isn’t the important part of the film, we follow Lady Bird in her last year of high school. It’s an exploration of that relationship between teenage daughter and Mum. I don’t feel like the trailer, really tells you what the film is going to be about, and the film surprised me so much. 

I, Tonya
Margot Robbie, I did not realise quite how great an actress you are, entirely transformed within this film.
I, Tonya follows the life and career of Tonya Harding US Olympic Ice Skater up until the 1994 including the infamous attack on Nancy Harrigan. I knew I had to see this film as soon as I saw the first trailer and was instantly curious about Tonya Harding, a little bit of modern history I was entirely unaware of.
Truth was the theme of this film, there were key scenes played with the different versions of events given by the people in Tonya's life. I feel as an audience that it left me feeling a bit agitated at times not being an easy watch, replicating how the characters were feeling on screen.
Since watching the film I have been watching the original footage of the skating and some interviews doing some of my own research.

Call Me By Your Name
A film I was sure I'd be waiting for the DVD release to watch. My friend Grace has been singing it's praises for a number of months, and I was gutted to have missed it in cinemas.
Call Me By Your Name is such a gorgeously shot film telling the story of Elio spending the summer of 1983 in his parent's summer residence in Italy. When Oliver working with Elio's father as an intern meet and after a slow start a summer romance ensues.
A stunning coming of age story, and there are many positives for LGBT people. Firstly neither Elio or Oliver die, or has a terminal illness. Secondly the scene between Elio and his father, whilst Elio is suffering with heartbreak, is every kid's ideal coming out conversation with a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment