Wednesday 13 December 2017

My Top 5 Shows of 2017

Hello, this probably the hardest post I will write this year. I have decided to talk through my top 5 shows I have seen this year. I've seen a fair few so this is going to be difficult.

5. Yank
Yank was a show that exceeded expectations. It had great songs and tap routines. However most importantly it told a story not really told in history classes, as it deals with the subject of gay men in the US army, whilst homosexuality was illegal. If this get puts on again, please go and see it.

4. La Cage Aux Folles
This was the first show I saw this year and it has stuck with me. John Partridge gave one of the strongest performances I have seen, and had proved hard to equal or better. Based on the french play with the same name, it follows a gay couple who own a drag nightclub. Drama ensues when their son, falls in love with a girl from a very conservative family. This has great songs including the classic I Am What I Am.

3. Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes
Shockingly this was the first ever Matthew Bourne I had seen live on stage, and boy had I chosen a good one to start with. The dancing and the storytelling was beautiful, now Ashley Shaw who played Victoria Paige is just absolute goals. Based on the film with a stunning score by Bernard Herrmann.

2. Hedda Gabler
This for me is unexpectedly placing high on this list - I would not have expected that at the start of the year. I mainly went out of curiosity and because it was a National Theatre Production. As I said in my review 'The National Theatre's production left me completely awestruck. Hedda was masterfully played by the cover Cate Cammack on the night I went. '

Sitting in the Olivier Theatre at the National, getting the rare chance to see Follies on stage was special enough. I got a shiver down my spine as soon as Sondheim's magnificent score started to play. There were out standing performances from everyone in the cast. A song that will stay with me is Broadway Baby. See my in depth review here. On until 3rd of January.

And that's it!

Thanks for popping by
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment