Thursday 28 September 2017

Follies | Theatre Review

Hello, today I'm going to chat through my thoughts on the National Theatre's production of Follies as well as my own previous experience of Sondheim's work.


My first proper encounter of Sondheim was when I was studying him at A-Level, as cliche as it sounds my perspective of not only musical theatre, but theatre its self, what that could be shifted entirely. That a musical didn't necessarily have to be an escape, or a spectacle set out to amaze audiences. Up until this point I didn't know the extent to which  a musical could be the vehicle not only to show, but explore the messiness that is life. Especially with many American musicals pre Sondheim, being focused on the 'American Dream'. Call me naive, but thats what I was unaware of.

I would like to preface this review section by saying, I find something extremely hard to analyse if I think its really rather good.


So what is Follies about. The theatre in which the Wiesmann Follies (based on the Ziegfeld Follies) was performed in is being knocked down. Former Follies are invited to celebrate the old glory days of the Follies. The story focuses around two couples, formed during the old days, reminiscing about the past. How life didn't turn out as they expected and they're not living the American idealised life. The 'current' time is then shadowed by their younger selves, living in the past. The past and the present shadowing one another.


As soon as I heard the National Theatre was putting on a production of Follies, I think I jumped out of my skin and then added the booking date to ensure I wasn't missing out on tickets. There were two monumental things happening 1) My first visit to the National Theatre, a venue nothing like I had been in before. 2) The first professional Sondheim production I have seen.

Working within theatre, one of my first responses on exiting the auditorium was 'this is why we need arts funding'. Firstly Follies has not been in London since the 1970's - so this is an incredibly rare show to see. Then to see the calibre in terms of performance, production values and keeping it close to Sondheim's intentions of how it should be performed. For example the production goes straight through without an interval- the interval being a great opportunity in commercial theatre to sell merchandise, drinks, ice creams etc to audiences.

One aspect that was particularly done with finesse was the interaction between the characters in the past and the present, whether this was a large production number, or a smaller scene between a few characters. How the past shadowed the present's movement, in a literal foreshadowing. The past was never fully lit, the attention to the subtleties in terms of technical effects added to already clever staging. 


As soon as the music started playing I had a shiver go down my spine, and my arms were populated with goose pimples. Sondheim using the pastiche of music from the Ziegfeld Follies era was glorious. There were a couple of absolutely outstanding moments. The first being Broadway Baby performed nothing like my expectations of the song. It was funny yet tinged with a little bit of sadness. This was the first moment I was aware I was watching something truly special.

Two of my other musical highlights was Could I Leave You? was so harsh yet hilarious. executed perfectly by Jamie Dee (Phyllis). Also her number in the couples Follie The Story of Jessie and Lucy. As a Strallen fan, it was fantastic to see former Matthew Bourne dancer Zizzi Strallen (Young Phyllis) dance to full extent.
You may have noticed I haven't talked hugely about individual characters, I felt it was an incredibly strong show company wide. But I do feel I would had more to say if I were rich enough to have sat closer to be honest with you. Obviously I thought Imelda Staunton was great as Sally as she grew more delusional throughout the show.

Super random but I just wanted a brief mention for the programme which cost me a whole £5. Best Programme I have bought in a long time, not just packed with adverts. Interesting information about Stephen Sondheim, bits about his past and his methods. Then also about the Ziegfeld Follies, which the Weismann Follies are based on. I had a great time reading this on the train home.

Thanks for popping by!
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment